The High-Beta Rich: How the Manic Wealthy Will Take Us to the Next Boom, Bubble, and Bust
- How one couple frittered away a fortune trying to build America's biggest house-90,000 square feet with 23 full bathrooms, a 6,000 square foot master suite with a bed on a rotating platform-only to be forced to put it on the market because "we really need the money".
- Repo men who are now the scavengers of the wealthy, picking up private jets, helicopters, yachts and racehorses-the shiny remains of a decade of conspicuous consumption financed with debt, asset bubbles, "liquidity events," and soaring stock prices.
- How "big money ruins everything" for communities such as Aspen, Colorado whose over-reliance on the rich created a stratified social scene of velvet ropes and A-lists and crises in employment opportunities, housing, and tax revenues.
- Why California's worst budget crisis in history is due in large part to reliance on the volatile incomes of the state's tech tycoons.
- The bitter divorce of a couple who just a few years ago made the Forbes 400 list of the richest people, the firing of their enormous household staff of 110, and how one former spouse learned the marvels of shopping at Marshalls, filling your own gas tank, and flying commercial.
|Grouped Work ID||6e5b76c7-5ae3-2d3d-a71a-1c8962566a89|
|Grouping Title||high beta rich how the manic wealthy will take us to the next boom bubble and bust|
|Grouping Author||frank robert|
|Last Grouping Update||2019-01-20 04:48:41AM|
|Last Indexed||2019-01-20 04:52:03AM|
The rich are not only getting richer, they are becoming more dangerous. Starting in the early 1980s the top one percent (1%) broke away from the rest of us to become the most unstable force in the economy. An elite that had once been the flat line on the American income charts - models of financial propriety - suddenly set off on a wild ride of economic binges.
From the Hardcover edition.
|format_category_arlington||Audio Books, eBook|
|item_details||overdrive:bf0d6a04-60a9-4053-9b5a-2d1859d5f8a5|-1|Online OverDrive Collection|Online OverDrive|eAudiobook|Audio Books|1|false|true|OverDrive|||OverDrive MP3 Audiobook,OverDrive Listen|Available Online||||, overdrive:f9b23d20-c4b5-45e1-8fd4-243dc2c595ba|-1|Online OverDrive Collection|Online OverDrive|eBook|eBook|1|false|true|OverDrive|||Adobe EPUB eBook,Kindle Book,OverDrive Read|Available Online|||||
|record_details||overdrive:bf0d6a04-60a9-4053-9b5a-2d1859d5f8a5|eAudiobook|Audio Books||English|Tantor Media||, overdrive:f9b23d20-c4b5-45e1-8fd4-243dc2c595ba|eBook|eBook||English|The Crown Publishing Group|2011||
|title_display||The High-Beta Rich|
|title_full||The High-Beta Rich How the Manic Wealthy Will Take Us to the Next Boom, Bubble, and Bust, The High-beta Rich How the Manic Wealthy Will Take Us to the Next Boom, Bubble, and Bust|
|title_short||The High-Beta Rich|
|title_sub||How the Manic Wealthy Will Take Us to the Next Boom, Bubble, and Bust|
|topic_facet||Business, Nonfiction, Psychology, Sociology|